Ordinarily your kids may not be so thrilled to see a stack of notebook paper, but we think in the case of this cake, they’ll make an exception. This is the ultimate back-to-school cake, and it’s so simple you just might finish creating it before everyone finishes their homework. The magic is in the fondant rolled out and marked to look just like a piece of notebook paper. Use edible markers to write your own message.
Back-to-school notebook cake recipe
- 2 boxes cake mix (pick your favorite — we’re using Funfetti!)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 tubs frosting
- 40 ounces white fondant
- Red, blue and black edible markers
- 1/2-inch-wide circle cutter or pastry bag tip
- Mix all the cake ingredients together according to the box directions.
- Bake in 2 rectangular, 8-1/2 x 11-inch pans according to the instructions. Let the cake cool completely.
- Frost the top of the first layer, stack the second layer on top of that, and then frost the rest of the cake. Add sprinkles around the edges of the cake.
- Roll out the fondant, and cut it into a rectangle using the cake pan as a guide. You will decorate this to look like a sheet of notebook paper.
- Now cut out 3 holes along the left side of the fondant sheet to approximate ring binder holes.
- Using a ruler, draw horizontal lines across the fondant sheet using the blue edible marker, and a vertical guideline in the red edible marker.
- Using the black edible marker, write a fun back-to-school message on your notebook paper.
- Carefully place the notebook paper on top of the cake. Enjoy!