Depending on how your kids feel about starting a new school year, they may or may not want to see more chalkboards when they get home. But we think they’ll at least be OK with this version — chalkboard cookies you can inscribe using edible chalk. Yes, this is a thing you can make. Pretty cool, right? Here’s how.
Chalkboard cookies and edible chalk
For the cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the icing
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup meringue powder
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Black food coloring
- 1 cup candy melts in your choice of chalk color
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the cookies
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and powdered sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and combine. If the dough feels sticky at all, add a little more flour.
- Roll out the dough and refrigerate it until it’s firm.
- Cut out the cookies.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
For the frosting
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, mix the powdered sugar, meringue powder, water and cocoa powder together on medium for approximately 5 minutes.
- Mix on high for 3 to 4 more minutes until the batter gains a meringue-like appearance.
- Add black food coloring and mix. It should now have a paste-like consistency for piping the frame around the edge of the chalkboard cookies. After framing the cookies, add a little water at a time until it has a gel-like consistency and flood the middle inside the frame. Smooth it out with a slanted spatula.
- Let the icing dry completely while you make the edible chalk. Don’t write on them with it until it’s completely dry.
For the edible chalk
- Melt the candy melts.
- Pipe the melted candy into jumbo-sized straws and refrigerate the straws until they’re hard.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, push the chalk out of the straws.
- Break the chalk into pieces.
- In a large plastic zip-close bag filled with powdered sugar, toss the chalk pieces until well coated.
- Now you can use your edible chalk to write on your chalkboard cookies!