You guys, this cake is rainbow tie-dye on the outside and on the inside. Need I say more? No, I do not! And yet, I will also tell you that this cake is pretty darn easy to make. And it will make you the hero of your household, even if your household is just you. Lucky you. Enjoy your colorful T-shirt cake.
Tie-dye T-shirt cake recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 25 – 30 minutes | Frosting and assembly time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 10 – 15 minutes
- 2 boxes cake mix
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 4 colors food coloring
- 2 tubs store-bought frosting
- 1 (9 x 13-inch) pan
- 1 loaf pan
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the cake mix as instructed on the box.
- Divide the cake batter into 4 bowls, add 6 drops of food coloring to each, and mix. You can add more food coloring to intensify the colors.
- Spray both the pan and loaf pan with nonstick spray, and place parchment paper on the bottoms. Using a spoon, drop the colors randomly into the pans.
- Once you have used up all the batter, use a bamboo skewer to swirl the batter around and mix the colors. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans, and let cool completely.
- Level the cakes. Cut sleeves out of the loaf pan cake.
- Use frosting to glue the sleeves to the 9 x 13-inch cake. Cut out the neck of the shirt.
- Apply a crumb coat to the cake.
- Place the remaining frosting in a microwave-safe glass dish, and heat for 1 minute.
- Add 4 drops of each color to the frosting. Using a toothpick, press the food coloring to the bottom of the dish.
- Poor the frosting over the cake while it is still warm so that it spreads over the cake.
- Let the frosting rest before cutting.