4. Peach-rhubarb hand pies recipe
- 2 (9-inch) pie crusts, chilled
- 1 cup rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1 cup peaches, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant tapioca
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with a splash of water (for brushing)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- To a medium-size bowl, add the peaches, rhubarb, sugar, vanilla and tapioca. Mix well, and set aside.
- Roll both pie crusts to 1/8 inch thick. Stamp out 3-inch rounds using a cookie cutter or a biscuit cutter.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of filling into the centers of half the rounds, and top with the other half of the rounds.
- Use the back tines of a fork to seal the edges together all the way around the hand pies.
- Brush the top of each hand pie with the beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top, if desired.
- With a paring knife, cut 2 small slits into the top of each pie.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the hand pies on the lined baking sheets, and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.