Let’s be real; rhubarb doesn’t get nearly enough love. People tend to shy away from it because they don’t really know what it is or what to do with it — but, you guys, the stuff is amazing.
Rhubarb is straight-up delicious when properly prepared. If you’ve ever whipped up a recipe using it, you know that it’s highly underrated and underused for how delicious it is. Those huge bright red and green celery-like stalks can look a little intimidating when they’re on their own, but don’t let their quirkiness fool you — rhubarb is the ideal ingredient to take your summer recipe game to the next level and is sure to get a conversation started at your next dinner party or family picnic.
Watch as I show you how to create five really simple, unexpected recipes with this unconventional item, such as pretty strawberry-rhubarb mimosas, a spicy-sweet rhubarb barbecue sauce, party-ready peach-rhubarb hand pies and good-to-the-last-crumb rhubarb bars.
1. Strawberry-rhubarb mimosa recipe
- 2 stalks rhubarb (cut into 1/2-inch pieces, about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle prosecco
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and let cook until the rhubarb is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the heat, and strain the syrup into a bowl.
- Cover the syrup, and refrigerate until cool.
- Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of rhubarb syrup into Champagne glasses.
- Top each glass with prosecco.
Next: Rhubarb barbecue sauce
Originally published July 2015. Updated April 2017.