The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays of the year, and that’s basically because in my family, it’s all about the food. A little fried chicken here, some cherry pie there and, of course, watermelon in abundance. But even though watermelon is one of the most refreshing and classic summer treats, over the years I feel like my watermelon recipe repertoire has gotten a little stale. And I definitely couldn’t bring that weak stuff to the picnic table this 4th of July!
So in preparation to wow my family and bring glory back to the watermelon, I’m showing you five creative ways to step outside your same old summer watermelon routine. Watch as I whip up some seriously tasty and sweet watermelon sangria, a killer grilled watermelon salad for sharing and picnic-perfect watermelon-pomegranate yogurt pops. Happy 4th, everyone!
1. Watermelon-pomegranate yogurt pops recipe
Yields 8 (3 ounce) pops
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients.
- Blend until everything is smooth and well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 the fruit mixture with your yogurt.
- Put the yogurt-juice mixture into a pourable measuring cup or container.
- Alternate pouring the yogurt mix and the juice mixture into ice pop molds. (This will give a marbled look.)
- Freeze until the ice pops are solid, about 6 hours.
- Remove from the molds, and enjoy.