I always say I’ve never met a waffle I don’t like, and I like to think I’ve tasted just about every waffle variety known to man. But at some point I think I started to realize that my affection for traditional waffles wasn’t solely based on the flavors they were made with — I just liked the idea of waffling something. There’s something so simple and fun about throwing a mix of ingredients into the waffle iron and watching them come out perfectly crispy and imprinted with that funky windowpane pattern.
As is usually the case in my kitchen, my fascination with all things waffled got me thinking about the crazy, delicious creations I could cook up using my beloved waffle iron, and what transpired was a mouthwatering array of possibilities. Watch as I show you five unconventional recipes to create using your waffle iron, including an insanely scrumptious chicken pot pie waffle, a savory waffled omelet and a waffled beef tamale that will make you question why a tamale would be made any other way!
1. Waffled chicken pot pie recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 packages prepared pie crust
- Sauté the onion, carrot and celery in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to the sautéed vegetables, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the vegetables over medium heat, and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Stir the half-and-half into the chicken, and season with the thyme, salt and pepper. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and let the mixture cool.
- Heat the waffle iron to high heat.
- Prepare the pastry dough, cutting it into pieces that will fit onto the waffle iron.
- Lay out the bottom piece of pie dough, and top it with a thin layer of the mixture. Cover with another piece of dough, then place onto the waffle iron, and close the lid. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the waffle iron, and serve with the remaining warmed filling.