I’m a huge fan of Jurassic Park. My fandom is pretty obvious in this video; I mean, I even wore my best 1990s explorer gear.
To celebrate the release of Jurassic World, I drew inspiration from the fly trapped in amber that provided the dinosaur DNA in the original movie. These “dinosaurs trapped in amber” are dinosaur gummies in rum punch Jell-O shots. They’re easy to make, taste great and I promise they won’t escape and go wild.
Jurassic World Jell-O shots recipe
- Gummy dinosaurs (1 per shot)
- 1 cup cold ginger ale (or ginger beer)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light rum (coconut flavored like Malibu is great)
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur (like Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (juice of about 2 limes)
- 3 (3/4 ounce) packets unflavored gelatin
- Start by pouring half of the cold ginger ale (dissolving the gelatin in a cold liquid makes a big difference) into a mixing bowl. Pour the other half of the ginger ale into a pan.
- Add the gelatin to the cold ginger ale and whisk together.
- Add water to the pan and heat the ginger ale and water until hot. They don’t have to be boiling, just hot enough to fully dissolve the gelatin.
- Pour the hot liquid into the bowl of ginger ale and gelatin. Mix together.
- Stir in the other liquid ingredients, light rum, dark rum, orange liqueur and lime juice.
- Place 1 gummy dinosaur in each Jell-O shot mold. Molds can be made from ice cube trays, plastic cups, cupcake liners, mini cupcake tins… just make sure the mold is big enough to display the gummy dinosaur.
- Pour in the liquid and refrigerate until set. Tip: If you use a cupcake tin as a mold, it may help to place the bottom of the pan in hot water for 10 seconds to help un-mold the shots.