Coconut oil is one of my favorite ingredients for one simple reason: It is incredibly versatile. It can go from being a tasty addition to your stir-fry (thanks to its high heat point) to a delicious topping on your popcorn to, yes, even a body scrub. Here are five of our favorite recipes using this spectacular ingredient.
1. Simple coconut oil cookie dough recipe
Prep time: 35 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder, then set it aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the coconut oil and dark brown sugar with the granulated sugar.
- Once the mixture is fluffy, add the egg and vanilla, and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients, and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Scoop and ball the cookie dough.
- Place the balls on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes.