Loaded with protein, fiber, and a naturally sweet earthy flavor, kidney beans lend rich color and body to this heart-healthy vegan gumbo recipe. Serve this thick stew-like meal with rice or crusty bread.
Spicy Bean Gumbo
- 3 tablespoons crumbled dried mushrooms
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Tabasco to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together mushrooms and water and set aside to rehydrate the mushrooms.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sprinkle flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it lightly toasted.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup broth. Place back on the burner and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in remaining broth, onion, pepper, jalapeno, garlic, tomatoes, bay, thyme, cumin, and coriander.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and tabasco. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook until mixture is thick.
- Remove bay leaves and serve hot.
More delicious vegan dinner ideas!