Meatloaf is off-limits but swap out the meat for veggies and protein-rich garbanzo beans and you’ve got a filling, tasty vegan dinner to serve with a side of whipped sweet potatoes or to use as filling for sandwiches.
Vegan Meat-Free Loaf
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs (dry)
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter (melted)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a large loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pulse beans until they are mashed.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until ingredients are well combined. Do not puree.
- Transfer to prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then invert onto a cutting board and cut into slices to serve.
More yummy vegan recipe ideas