Turn your ordinary rice side dish into a tasty melange of sweet and savory with this vegan rice recipe featuring aromatics, orange zest, currants, almonds, and parsley.
Ginger Orange Basmati Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1-1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 3/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in orange zest, juice, rice, and broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss with currants, almonds, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
More vegan side dish recipes!