October is National Apple Month and what better way to celebrate one of America’s most popular fruit than to slip it into puff pastry and enjoy as an indulgent fall dessert! This sweet vegan recipe features a warmly spiced apple and vegan sour cream filling nestled in flaky layers of puff pastry. You can drizzle pastries with icing or simply sprinkle with raw sugar.
Apple Puff Pastry
- 2-1/2 cups diced apple
- 1/4 cup 100 percent apple juice
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2/3 cup vegan sour cream
- 2 sheets Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice, almond, or soy milk
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine apples and apple juice. Cover pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until apples softened.
- Stir in pumpkin pie spice then cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and remove from heat, stirring until thickened. Stir in sour cream and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay puff pastry sheets on a large cutting board and cut each into 4 equal pieces. Divide apple mixture among puff pastry pieces.
- For each, fold pastry over apple filling and seal the edges with a bit of water and crimp with the back of a fork.
- Transfer pastries to a large baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastries are lightly browned and puffed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk to make icing.
- Drizzle icing over pastries and serve warm.
More heavenly vegan dessert recipes