Fall is officially here along with cooler days and cravings for comfort food. This easy vegetable stew features sweet potatoes, eggplant, fire-roasted tomatoes, and onions. Serve this belly-warming vegan stew with crusty bread drizzled with a high-quality extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped, 1 whole cracked from skin
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup finely torn fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, bay leaf, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until onions are softened.
- Add potatoes, eggplant, and bell pepper and season with a generous pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in basil and serve hot.
More delicious vegan soup recipes!
Vegan asparagus soup
Vegan spicy pumpkin soup with lemongrass and coconut
Vegan Hot and Sour Soup