A colorful, balanced vegan meal, this tasty combination of tender sauteed bell peppers, chickpeas, and whole wheat couscous is an easy vegan dinner to toss together.
Bell Pepper Chickpea Couscous
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small bell peppers (red, yellow, and green), cored, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent and peppers are tender.
2. Stir in cumin, coriander, and coriander and remove from heat.
3. Meanwhile, heat broth in a medium saucepan over high heat until boiling. Stir in couscous, cover pan, and remove from heat.
4. Stir chickpeas into pepper mixture. Fluff couscous and stir into bell pepper mixture.
5. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with cilantro to serve.