The beginning of fall means it’s tailgating time — even for non-meat eaters. This tailgate-friendly vegan soup is chockfull of lentils, spinach, and tomatoes, making it a warm and wonderful vegan meal for those crisp football game afternoons.
Tailgating Lentil Spinach Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red or green lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, lentils, and broth and bring to a boil. Recuce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach and cook, stirring, until spinach wilts.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.