When the cold nights of fall come calling, warm your belly with this hearty braised tofu and mushroom dish. I found this scrumptious vegan dinner recipe in Laura B. Russell’s recently released cookbook The Gluten-Free Asian Kitchen (Celestial Arts, August 2011). Unlike meat-based braised recipes, this vegan braising recipe takes minutes.
Braised Tofu in Mushroom Sauce
Recipe featured in The Gluten-Free Asian Kitchen by Laura B. Russell.
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-1/2 by 1/2-inch cubes, drained on paper towels for 15 minutes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound green beans, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- Red jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Put potato starch on a small plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Season tofu with salt and pepper and dip two larger sides in potato starch, tapping off excess.
- Add tofu to the pan and cook until light golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer tofu to a clean plate and wipe out the pan.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and green beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tamari, sake, and sugar. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add tofu to the pan, cover, and simmer gently, turning tofu once, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with jalapeno and serve.