As the kids head back to school, save yourself time in the morning by baking a batch or two of these healthy muffins to hand to your kiddos as they race out the door in the morning. Chockful of apples, dried fruit, carrots, and coconut, they will deliciously fuel your family for the busy days of fall.
Back to School Fruit and Coconut Muffins
Makes 1 dozen muffins
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg
- 1 cup vanilla coconut-based yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Organic Vanilla Extract http://www.nielsenmassey.com
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 12-muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the egg substitute, yogurt, butter and vanilla and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Stir in the carrots, apples, pecans, raisins, cranberries and coconut to form a thick batter.
- Fill muffin cups with batter and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Invert muffin pan and cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or wrap individually and freeze for up to 2 months.
More delicious vegan treats
Spinach Salad with Beets and Walnuts
Loaded Baked Potatoe
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Leave a Comment