Hot and spicy, delicious and filling, this Thai-inspired vegan coconut soup is the perfect vegan lunch to help you beat the midday slump, and will be a welcome vegan dinner when the cool autumn days arrive.
Thai Coconut Tofu Soup
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, pressed, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed
- 1 (2-inch) fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- Zest of 1 lime, cut into long strips
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- Steamed jasmine rice to serve
- In a medium bowl, combine tofu, tamari, brown sugar, and garlic.
- In a large saucepan, combine broth, lemongrass, ginger, and lime zest. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and mushrooms and bring soup back to a simmer.
- Gently toss tofu and add to the soup. Stir in lime juice, chiles, and 3 tablespoons cilantro. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice.