Curry Hummus Dip
Pureed garbanzo beans are a delicious, high-fiber, protein-packed base for a tasty array of healthy vegan dips or spreads. This curry hummus dip, courtesy of Pritikin Longevity and Spa, delivers a healthy vegan meal with lots of warm flavor.
Curry Hummus Dip- Makes about 2 cups
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup diced tomato (fresh or canned, low-sodium)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning (see Cook's note)
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (If using canned varieties, rinse and drain.)
In a medium nonstick saucepan, saute onion, garlic, and tomato for 3 minutes.
Add ginger, cumin, coriander, curry powder, thyme, and Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning, and cook over low heat for another 8 minutes. (The consistency should be like a paste.)
Add garbanzo beans, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until beans are fully incorporated into curry mixture.
While still hot, pour mixture into food processor and puree.
Cool. Serve with whole-grain low-sodium chips (good choice is Kavli Crispbread) or vegetable chips.
Cook's note: Make your own Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning by blending granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika.