Did you know rum is a vegan spirit? It’s also a spirit that has its own holiday. National Rum Day is August 16. If you’re looking for a new rum recipe or want to try rum for the first time, try the following vegan drink recipe.
5 Things you may not know about rum
Ed Hamilton, one of the world’s most well-known authorities on rum and sugar-cane spirits, shares a few facts about rum.
- Rum is the most diverse of all the distilled spirits, varying from a clear, light spirit to a heavy bodied spirit which can be as dark as night.
- Rum is made from sugar cane but the distilled spirit contains no sugar and has the same calories by volume as vodka or whisky (minus additional ingredients).
- Though often considered a renegade spirit, rum can only be made from sugar cane as the simplest raw material.
- The Molasses Act of 1733, and addendums in 1764, were catalysts for the American Revolution and confirmed the French and Colonists as allies in the subsequent war. At the time of the American Revolution there were more than 150 rum distilleries in New England
- Rum continues to be the most undervalued, least understood of the distilled spirits.
Hamilton has been featured on NBC’s Today Show and in Time magazine, and he has published four books on the subject of rum. This vegan drink recipe features Flor de Cana 4 Year Rum.
Flor de Cana Daquiri- Makes 1
- 2 ounces Flor de Cana 4 Year Rum
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- Place rum, lime juice, and simple syrup in a shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
Leave a Comment