Not the most common find on the grill, Swiss chard is a surprisingly easy and delicious vegan grilled meal.
Grilled Swiss Chard- Serves 6
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, don’t remove leaves from stems
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Halve chard stems crosswise and blanch in a large pot of boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until just barely tender.
- Plunge chard into an ice bath to cool. Remove from water, allowing the excess water to drip off. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Toss chard stems with 1-1/2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill rack to medium heat and oil the grill grate. Grill chard, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch lengths and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet on the grill or over medium heat on the stovetop, heat remaining oil.
- Cook garlic, stirring often, until just pale golden. Add oregano and lemon juice.
- Pour garlic mixture over chard and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Serve warm.
Leave a Comment