Akin to the Lebanese dish Baba Ganoush, this vegan grilled eggplant dip is a delicious accompaniment for baked pita chips or slathered on toast.
Grilled Eggplant Dip- Makes about 2 cups
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded, finely chopped
- Grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat grill to medium high and oil the grill grate.
- Prick the eggplant all over with a fork, and place it on the grill and close the cover. Turn eggplant occasionally until it’s soft when squeezed and the skin is lightly charred.
- When cool enough to handle, slice eggplant in half and use a large spoon to scoop out the insides of the eggplant onto a cutting board.
- Chop eggplant and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve warm.