Warm, wonderful and filling, risotto is an Italian comfort food with many mouthwatering variations. This vegan risotto recipe features wild mushrooms and fresh herbs.
Wild mushroom risotto recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 cup fresh wild mushrooms of your choice, finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups warm vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs of your choice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan with a fitting lid over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid.
- Add rice and cook, stirring, until the rice smells lightly toasted.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of broth, cover the pan, and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Gradually add broth, 1/4 to 1/3 cup at a time, stirring and covering each time, as rice absorbs the broth.
- The risotto is done when the rice is tender and the mixture is thick.
- Stir in butter and fresh herbs, stirring until the butter is melted and incorporated into the risotto.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.