From investment banker to a full-time career in confections, Rachel Thebault has delighted treat-lovers in the Tribeca area with her busy award-winning bakery Tribeca Treats since 2007. Ready to share her delicious wares nationwide, Thebault published Sweet Chic: Stylish Treats to Dress Up for Any Occasion last year. Wanting to reach out to the vegan sweet tooths, she created this vegan and gluten-free cookie recipe.
Jam Dot Cookies
Recipe courtesy of Rachel Thebault, author of Sweet Chic: Stylish Treats to Dress Up for Any Occasion (Ballantine, October 2011).
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fruit jam (any desired flavor)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a food processor, grind the almonds and oats to a coarse meal (about 45 seconds). Set them aside in a mixing bowl and add the cinnamon and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, combine the canola oil, syrup, orange juice and vanilla. Add the liquids to the almond/oat mixture and stir until combined.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of batter for each cookie onto the prepared cookie sheet. Using the back of a teaspoon measure, make a well in the center of each cookie and drop about 1/2 teaspoon of jam in each well.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown.