Spicy Black Bean Mango Burritos
Black beans, peppers, carrots and rice drenched in a spicy mango sauce and rolled in tender tortillas make for a hearty and flavorful Mexican-inspired vegan dinner dish.
Spicy Black Bean Mango Burritos-Makes 6
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded, cut into matchsticks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 large ripe, soft mango, peeled, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne
- 6 vegan whole grain tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine rice and broth. Bring to a boil, cover pan, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and peppers. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened and lightly browned.
- Stir in black beans and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine mango, jalapeno, vinegar, sugar, garlic, coriander, and cayenne. Puree ingredients and transfer to a small saucepan.
- Place mango sauce over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir rice into black bean mixture. Lay tortillas on the counter and fill with black bean mixture.
- Drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Roll tortillas burrito-style and serve.