Brown Rice with Broccoli and Peppers
Toss broccoli, onions, and peppers with brown rice for a filling, flavorful, and colorful vegan dish.
Brown Rice with Broccoli and Peppers- Serves 6
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 1 cup red or yellow bell pepper slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese alternative (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring rice and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, broccoli, and peppers and cook, stirring often, until broccoli is tender.
Stir in garlic, coriander, orange zest, orange juice, and currants or raisins. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Keep vegetables warm until rice is cooked. Add rice to the vegetables and toss to combine.
Stir in cilantro and cheese, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.