Coarse-ground cornmeal isn’t just for savory polenta side dish recipes. This hearty grain can be transformed into a scrumptiously sweet vegan cake.
Sweet Polenta Cake with Fresh Berries
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 3 cups blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries
- 1/2 cup polenta or coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Egg substitute equivalent for 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt margarine with 3/4 cup brown sugar over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is melted and smooth.
- Stir in the berries, remove skillet from heat, and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together polenta, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until light, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in olive oil and vanilla, then stir the dry ingredients into the batter, just until combined.
- Spoon batter over the fruit and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake until the cake springs back when touched, about 20 minutes. Cool in the skillet for 10 minutes, then cover with a platter and invert.
- Serve warm with vegan whipped topping.