Fried onion rings are especially delish dipped in ketchup while drinking a vanilla shake. Serve alongside your vegan burgers for a real vegetarian treat.
Fried onion rings recipe
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- In a deep fryer or deep, heavy-bottomed pan, heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees F. (The oil should be about 2 to 3 inches deep.)
- Separate onion slices into rings and set aside.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Add broth, stirring, to make a batter.
- Using tongs, dip onion rings one at a time into the batter to coat.
- Place the rings in oil and fry until the batter turns a nice golden brown.
- Transfer the onion rings to paper towels to drain. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve warm.
More vegan recipes
Easy vegan queso dip
Shredded veggie summer slaw