How to make oven-roasted garlic
Tender cloves of roasted garlic are delectable to simply pop in your mouth, but they will also add a rich depth of flavor to your savory vegan meals. Here's how to roast heads of garlic at home.Tender cloves of roasted garlic are delectable to simply pop in your mouth, but they will also add a rich depth of flavor to your savory vegan meals. Here's how to roast heads of garlic at home.
- 3 large bulbs of garlic
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, but do not separate the cloves.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off 1/4- to a 1/2-inch of the top of the garlic cloves.
- Place the garlic heads in a small baking dish and drizzle a tablespoon or so of olive oil over each head of garlic.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.
- Let garlic cool enough to handle then use your fingers to separate the cloves and squeeze the tender garlic out of their skins.
Cook's note: Puree garlic into your favorite sauce, dip, or creamy soup, spread cloves on toast, or eat them right out of the skin.
More tasty vegan basics!