Spinach, olives and tofu give these spicy vegan enchiladas a satisfying taste and texture. Serve them with a side of rice or avocado salad to round out this vegan Mexican meal.
Vegan spinach and tofu enchiladas recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained, pressed and mashed
- 1 cup black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup picante sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 vegan flour tortillas
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce, warmed
- 1 cup vegan cheese of your choice, shredded (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring often, for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach is wilted.
- Add tofu, olives, spices, oregano and picante sauce, and cook, stirring often, until the mixture is hot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the filling among the tortillas, rolling them into enchiladas.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Set the enchiladas inside the dish side by side, and pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle it with vegan cheese (optional). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted.