Vegan scalloped sweet potatoes
A popular holiday dish, scalloped potatoes are usually layered with cheese, cream and butter. This healthy vegan rendition of scalloped sweet potatoes is dairy-free, but just as delicious — and for fewer calories and fat.
Scalloped sweet potatoes recipe
- 1/3 cup white whole-wheat flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups plain soy milk
- 6 medium sweet potatoes or yams, sliced
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, melted
- Sweet paprika for sprinkling
- Fresh thyme leaves for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper and soy milk.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with potato slices. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of margarine over the potatoes. Top with a layer of onions.
- Pour 3/4 cup soy milk mixture over the potatoes. Repeat layering with potatoes, margarine, onions and soy milk mixture, ending with soy milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika and thyme. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue to bake until potatoes are tender and the sauce is thickened. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.