Just because a food product is labeled vegan doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the healthiest food choice for your vegan diet. If you want to replace processed vegan foods with fresh alternatives, making your own “cheese” is a delicious place to start. This cashew cheese recipe is as easy as they come, and is the tastiest raw food recipe for cheese you’ll spread with your knife.
Lemon garlic cashew cheese
Yields about 1-1/2 cups
- 1-1/2 cups plain cashew nuts
- 6 tablespoons water, plus more for soaking
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place cashews in a mixing bowl and cover with water for soaking. Let it stand for at least 2 hours.
- Drain cashews and transfer them to a food processor. Add the 6 tablespoons of water, lemon zest and juice, nutritional yeast and garlic. Purée, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper and blend again.
- Transfer the cashew cheese to a bowl, cover and let stand for 24 hours before refrigerating.
- Use cheese within 4 to 5 days.
More vegan recipes
Easy vegan queso dip
Shredded veggie summer slaw