Need a quick, easy, and scrumptious vegan holiday appetizer or side dish? Saute a skillet of these tasty garlicky mushrooms. A healthy vegan recipe featured in The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook (Lifelong Books, 2010), mushrooms are rich in flavor and don’t need a drop of fat to become meaty, earthy, delectable bites.
- 1 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) containers mushrooms, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1/4 cup broth in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes without stirring. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add garlic, paprika, and red pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sherry and cook until it evaporates. Add remaining broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and sprinkle with parsley.
From the book The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook by Neal Barnard, MD and Robyn Webb. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. http://www.dacapopresscookbooks.com/Copyright © 2010.
More tasty vegan holiday recipes