Pretty, fiery, and quick to fix, this vegan holiday recipe is a healthy vegan change from the usual fat- and calorie-laden dips served at holiday parties. Take advantage of this unusual vegan recipe during the winter months -- composed of acorn squash, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, and lime zest, you'll miss this vegan salsa when winter squash is out of season.
Makes 2 cups
- 1/2 small acorn squash, seeded
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bake, steam, or microwave acorn squash until it is firm but tender. Peel and dice.
2. Place squash and remaining ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and toss to combine.
3. Refrigerate overnight or at least a few hours to meld flavors, tossing occasionally.
4. Serve at room temperature.