Beat the bone-chilling winter weather with a hearty and healthy root vegetable casserole naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup and warmly spiced with cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes become tender bites of tasty bliss in this easy-to-make vegan bake.
To save you time during the holiday hustle and bustle, you can prepare this vegan casserole up to three days ahead and simply pop it in the oven for a quick reheat.
Maple cinnamon root vegetable bake recipe
- 6 carrots, trimmed and diced
- 6 parsnips, trimmed and diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into wedges
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the vegetables and place them in the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour the mixture over the vegetables, tossing to coat.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes to coat with the cooking liquid.
- Toss the vegetables again before serving.