A warm and creamy combination, sweet potatoes and macadamia nuts deliciously come together in this sumptuous, yet healthy, vegan soup. For a tasty change, substitute three cups of diced winter squash for the sweet potatoes or swap out the macadamia nuts for cashews, almonds, or hazelnuts. In soups and sauces, ground nuts are a stellar vegan stand-in for cream. For a pretty garnish, drizzle with a little coconut milk. Serve this sweet potato soup as a first course for your vegan holiday feast.
Sweet Potato and Macadamia Nut Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, ground in a food processor
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped macadamia nuts for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onion and celery, stirring often, until softened.
2. Add ginger, garlic, and lemon zest. Cook, stirring, until fragrant.
3. Add sweet potatoes, ground nuts, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are very soft.
4. Stir in parsley and remove from heat. Let cool slightly then puree with an immersion blender or food processor.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm, garnished with macadamia nuts.