Rotelle with asparagus and mushroom sauce
This vegan pasta recipe is great for the holidays. The asparagus and mushroom make a rich, savory taste that will satisfy you until Christmas morning. This is easy to make and makes a great addition to a holiday dinner or party. You and your guests will love this vegan pasta dish and the bonus is that it's packed with veggies!
Vegan rotelle asparagus and mushroom sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, trimmed, halved (if large) and sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch diagonals
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces rotelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- Soy parmesan cheese (optional)
- Combine mushrooms, oil and garlic in a medium skillet. Cook, covered, on low heat until the mushrooms exude their juices, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and cook, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and cook on medium-high heat, stirring until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon out 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid and add it to the mushroom mixture and the red pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of soy parmesan if desired.