As the days get shorter, those of us with Seasonal Affective Disorder will most likely be looking for ways to eat our feelings. So why not try to eat them away with this vegan German chocolate cake recipe? It’s delicious and cruelty free!
Vegan German Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Oil a 9 by 13 inch pan, and line it with parchment paper.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, egg replacer, and espresso into a bowl.
- Combine coffee, tofu, maple syrup, canola oil, vanilla, vinegar and coffee extract. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth (small lumps are okay).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and a small knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 325° F.
- Spread the macadamia nuts and hazelnuts on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until light brown. Then remove from oven and let cool.
- Pulse the nuts in a food processor fitted with the metal blade 4 or 5 times, until coarsely ground.
- Place the nuts, soy milk, rice milk, coconut, Sucanat®, agar, arrowroot and vanilla in a saucepan, and whisk until smooth.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, whisking continuously, for 7-10 minutes, until very hot but not boiling.
- Pour into a shallow pan to cool.
- Soak the dates in hot tap water for 10 minutes.
- Place the Florida Crystals and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the bubbles in the syrup are thick.
- Remove the dates from the water and transfer to a blender.
- Add the agave and Florida Crystal syrup and blend for 1 minute, or until smooth. Let cool to room temperature (If the caramel crystallizes, cook over low heat until the crystals dissolves).
Assemble and Serve:
- Using a 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter or glass tumbler, cut 12 rounds out of theChocolate cake.
- Place 1 round on a dessert plate. Using a small ice cream scoop, top with 2 tablespoons of the filling.
- Repeat, creating 2 more layers of cake and filling.
- Set a few whole macadamia nuts on top and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Dot the plate with caramel sauce, and garnish with kumquat slices and Chocolate cigars.
*Sucanat — A brand-name unrefined, granulated cane sugar made from evaporatedsugarcane juice, found in most natural food stores. You can substitute any unrefined sugar.
** Florida Crystals— A brand name less-refined granulated cane sugar. It is available in most natural food store. You can substitute any light, unrefined sugar.
Per Serving Cake:581 calories (49% from fat); 6.7 g protein; 64 g carbohydrate; 34 g fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 226 mg sodium; 4.5 g fiber.
Per 2 Tablespoons Date Caramel:65 calories (1% from fat); 0 g protein; 17 g carbohydrate; 0.2 g fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 1 mg sodium; 0.2 g fiber.