Looking for a nice salad for your vegan thanksgiving? Here’s a recipe for chilled asparagus with mustard herb vinaigrette. This delectable dish with have your guests mouthwatering over your holiday meal.
Chilled Asparagus Mustard Herb Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds asparagus (If you have a choice at the market, opt for larger asparagus. It has a richer, more satisfying flavor than very slender asparagus.)
- Mustard Herb Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped tarragon leaves
- salt and pepper as needed
- dash of onion powder
- dash of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oi
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Trim the asparagus to remove the white fibrous ends. Cut the asparagus into 2 inch pieces on the diagonal.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook until the spears are bright green and just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. (If necessary, cook the asparagus in batches.) Drain the asparagus in a colander and rinse with cold water until the asparagus is chilled. The asparagus is ready to dress and serve now, or it can be held in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, parsley, tarragon, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder until blended. Add the oil to the vinegar mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Toss the chilled asparagus with the vinaigrette or pass it separately on the side. Serve immediately on a chilled platter or plates.
More vegan holiday dishes