Fried plantain pouches filled with melted nougat and covered with rum caramel sauce will surely make you want more!
A crispy plantain dessert covered with melted nougat and rum caramel sauce sounds too inviting to resist. Presenting them in little pouches makes them even more irresistible. They also go well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Plantain pouches with nougat & rum caramel sauce recipe
Yields 12 pouches
- 1 pound white nougat
- 7 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ripe plantains (can substitute bananas)
- 12 square spring roll wrappers
- 12 food strings
- Peanut oil for deep-frying
- Chop the nougat to small pieces. Over medium heat, melt 3/4 of the nougat in a hot water bath with 4 tablespoons of water. When the nougat has melted, add 1 tablespoon of rum. Let the alcohol evaporate for about a minute then turn off the fire. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the brown sugar, the remaining water and rum. When it boils, simmer on low heat until it thickens. Set aside.
- Peel and slice each of the plantains into 6 pieces (about 2 inches in length).
- Lay a spring roll wrapper on a plate.
- Place the plantain slices in the middle of each wrapper and pour the nougat sauce over the top.
- Gather the four corners of the spring roll wrapper then secure them with the food string.
- Repeat until you finish all the ingredients.
- Deep-fry in a pot of very hot oil, best between 335-355 degrees F, until golden brown.
- Let them rest on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Garnish with the nougat you set aside and some rum caramel sauce.