Light and airy fresh buttermilk pudding cakes are combined with fresh fruit to create a delicious summertime dessert. Perfect for a dinner party and great for the warm summer nights.
Although I’m normally a fan of no-bake desserts for the summer I sometimes crave cake. This delicious cake is light, moist and full of flavor. You won’t mind firing up the oven for this treat! It can be served with whipped cream and fresh fruit or even just with a gentle shake of powdered sugar.
Buttermilk cake with fresh fruit topping recipe
Source: Martha Stewart
Yields 8 individual cakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (vanilla or almond extract will work, too)
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are great options)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and spray an 8-count muffin pan (bigger than a cupcake pan) with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder, set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs. Beat on medium speed with whisk attachment until the eggs are creamy and light yellow in color.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla bean paste, dark brown sugar and melted butter to the egg mixture. Whisk to combine. The mixture will look broken and curdled. Do not worry, this is totally normal.
- Slowly whisk in flour mixture until the mixture is smooth and is a cake batter consistency.
- Divide equally between each cup, filling about 2/3 full.
- Add to the oven and cook till the edges of the cake are light brown and evenly cooked on all sides, about 10 minutes. To check this simply use a butter knife to gently pull the edge of the cake from the side of the tin. Cakes must be cooked evenly in order to stay together when taken out of the pan.
- Once cakes are baked take out of the oven, let rest for 1 minute and then flip over. The cakes should easily pop out of the muffin tin.
- Cover with optional whipped cream and serve with berries.