Tabbouleh salad is a staple in the Middle East. Fresh parsley and mint is tossed with crunchy cucumbers and diced tomatoes in a tangy lemon dressing. Replacing the traditional bulgur wheat with quinoa in this recipe makes this a gluten-free salad for all to enjoy.
This salad is so delicious. When you think of parsley, you usually think of it as a garnish for other dishes. Here we use it as the focus in the recipe rather than a decoration. Parsley lends a green grassy flavor to this salad and is actually good for you. The sweet tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers add the perfect texture while the lemon dressing give it a zing.
Homemade tabbouleh with quinoa and fresh lemon dressing recipe
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 1/4 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 large hot-house cucumber, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, minced
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix lemon juice, olive oil and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl add the quinoa, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, mint and scallions. Add the dressing and toss very well. Allow to chill for several hours to help blend the flavors. Before serving toss the salad again and serve immediately.