Throw this Greek garbanzo bean salad together for a light, healthy side dish to complement grilled fish or chicken.
Healthy side dish
Quick, easy and healthy! What more could you ask for in a side dish? Garbanzo beans make the perfect base for this Greek-flavored salad.
Greek garbanzo bean salad recipe
Adapted from Greek Revival: Cooking for Life
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion until soft. Add the oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, white wine and 1/2 cup of the reserved liquid. Stir to combine. Add the garbanzo beans.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and let mixture simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Pour the lemon juice over the top and sprinkled with parsley and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.