This vegan coconut ice cream uses only coconut milk for its base, resulting in a concentrated flavor and creamy texture.
You’ll feel like you’re in Hawaii when you taste this frozen coconut treat.
Vegan coconut ice cream recipe
- 2 (15-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dried, unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, combine all but 1/4 cup of the coconut milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk until smooth. Add to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 4 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Pour the chilled mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and run according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve topped with toasted coconut, if desired.