Homemade all-natural peanut butter and organic jelly
You might be surprised how quickly and easily you can make these pantry staples in your own kitchen.
One of the most rewarding aspects of preparing food from scratch is that you have control over the ingredient list and quality. You can make peanut butter at home with nothing but a few cups of peanuts and just a pinch of salt to highlight their flavor. When making homemade jelly, you can ensure the fruit and sugar are organic. You'll feel even better when you eat this nostalgic combination because you'll know exactly what went into making it.
Here are some ways to use your peanut butter and jelly to go beyond the classic sandwich. (Not that there's anything wrong with a good ol' PB&J!)
- Swirl them into your oatmeal or yogurt
- Sandwich them between a banana sliced lengthwise
- Peanut butter and jelly waffles
- Peanut butter bread
- Peanut butter and jelly smoothie (recipe below)
Homemade all-natural peanut butter
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 cups dry-roasted peanuts
- salt, to taste
- Add the peanuts to a food processor or high-speed blender with a tamper tool. Pulse or process on medium until a fine peanut meal forms.
- Increase the speed to high and process or blend, using the tamper as needed, until the peanuts are smooth and creamy. If peanut butter gets stuck to the bottom of the food processor or blender, you may need to use a spoon or spatula to release it before continuing to process. The longer you process, the runnier the peanut butter will become.
- Once the peanut butter has reached the desired consistency, add a pinch of salt and process briefly to incorporate. Taste and continue to add salt until desired saltiness is reached. Pour your peanut butter into a lidded container and store it in the refrigerator.
Organic grape jelly
Makes about 3 cups
- 1-1/2 cups bottled organic grape juice
- 2 tablespoons pectin
- 2-1/2 cups organic sugar
- In a medium sauce pan over high heat, stir together the grape juice and pectin.
- Bring the juice to a roaring boil and then stir in the sugar.
- Allow the mixture to return to a boil, stirring often.
- Allow to boil for one minute before pouring into lidded jars.
- Once the jelly is cool, move it to the refrigerator. The jelly may take several days to firm.
Peanut butter and jelly smoothie
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-natural peanut butter (recipe above)
- 2 tablespoons organic grape jelly (recipe above)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Serve immediately.