Show Dad you love and appreciate him this Father’s Day by making these sweet, savory and oh-so-boozy beer-infused recipes. From pub style onion rings to boozy chicken tacos, Dad will request this exact menu every Father’s Day!
To customize this menu for your dad, sub in his favorite ale or lager for the beer in the ingredients. This delicious menu totally beats a boring tie or take-out pizza for your Father’s Day celebration!
Honey & beer coleslaw salad
- 1 bag classic coleslaw salad
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons wheat beer
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- In a large bowl, mix the coleslaw, red pepper and apple together. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, honey, wheat beer and lemon zest. Pour dressing over the coleslaw and add salt and pepper.
Beer-battered onion rings
Serves about 8
- 3 yellow onions, sliced thickly
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups flat beer
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal and a dash of salt together. Add in the beer and egg, mix to combine until you get a thick batter. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Once chilled, dip the rings into the batter, liberally covering the rings.
- Place the onions on a wire rack and place over a baking sheet. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until crispy and brown.
Beer-braised chicken tacos
Serves about 4 (2 tacos each)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-1/4 cups beer
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons oil (we used canola)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 tomatillo, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup coleslaw
- Shredded cheese for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add salt and pepper to the chicken breasts, covering each side. Place on the heat and cook until browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Add beer, chicken broth and additional salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, use two forks to shred into pieces. Place chicken on tortillas and top with tomatillo pieces, jalapeño, 2 tablespoons of coleslaw and a dash of cheese and cilantro.
Fresh blueberry beer pie
Yields 1 pie
- 2 pie crusts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons blueberry beer
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll out the pie crusts. Fit one crust into the pie plate and push the dough up the sides.
- In a bowl, mix the blueberries, cinnamon, beer, cornstarch and salt.
- Cut the butter into pieces. Pour the blueberries into the crust and top with the cut butter.
- Place the second pie crust over the blueberries and crimp the edges to make a fluted edge. Cut slits into the top of the crust so the blueberries can breath.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.