BLT stuffed pitas with whipped feta
These pita sandwiches are the perfect recipe for a summer picnic. Pitas are stuffed with a creamy whipped feta spread, applewood smoked bacon, crispy romaine and sweet tomatoes. These are an ideal summer sandwich.
BLTs are one of our favorite sandwiches. Crispy salty bacon really complements the tanginess from the whipped feta and the romaine and tomatoes add a perfect amount of freshness. If you don't like feta, try slices of havarti or Gouda cheeses which are lighter in taste yet still add creaminess.
BLT stuffed pitas with whipped feta recipe
Serves 4 (2 halves per person)
For the whipped feta
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the pitas
- 4 whole grain pita breads, halved
- 8 slices applewood smoked bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Fresh spinach leaves
- In a bowl mix the feta, cream cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Lightly warm the pita bread in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to help make them easier to handle. Spread the whipped feta mixture into each of the pockets and divide the bacon between the pitas. Finally add the tomatoes and spinach leaves. Keep chilled until ready to serve or eat immediately.