Meatless Monday: Spinach and mushroom manicotti
A traditional, Italian pasta dish makes a great meal on a Meatless Monday. Add some veggies to the creamy filling for more flavor.
Pasta is one of the most versatile and easy dishes to prepare. When it comes to this Italian delight, you don't have to settle for spaghetti or penne to make a simple meal. Spinach and mushroom manicotti is an easy dish to make, but it has an added "wow" factor thanks to the creamy filling. The addition of spinach and mushrooms provides flavor and ups your veggie intake, too!
Spinach and mushroom manicotti recipe
- 8 ounces manicotti tubes, cooked according to package directions
- 12 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 packed cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces prepared pasta sauce (more to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the ricotta cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese to a large bowl. Add the egg, and mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add the chopped spinach, mushrooms, garlic, black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce to the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish so it is covered with the sauce.
- When the manicotti has finished cooking, rinse it with cool water, then drain it.
- One by one, either using your fingers or a small spoon, carefully fill each manicotti tube with the cheese mixture. You want the filling to go through the entire tube, from end to end.
- Place the manicotti in the baking dish, each snug against the other. Spoon the remaining pasta sauce over the manicotti and cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly. Uncover the manicotti and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top. Bake, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and it begins to turn golden.
- Serve on individual plates.
Wow them with manicotti!