Boneless, skinless chicken breast gets sexy marinated in honey-balsamic sauce and then grilled with red onions and plums that form a sauce that’s perfect on the side!
Any night is the perfect night for this grilled honey-balsamic chicken with red onion plum sauce! It’s healthy, delicious and completely versatile! Serve on a bed of greens, atop a slice of grilled country bread or simply with a knife and fork… sauce on the side!
Grilled honey-balsamic chicken with red onion plum sauce recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1/2 pound each)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar (divided)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons honey (divided)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more for seasoning sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 plums, sliced in half and pits removed
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 4 circles
- Cooking spray
- Place chicken, 1/4 cup balsamic, olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large zip-closed bag and move all ingredients around to incorporate well. Allow chicken to marinate 1-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the grill (smoother side down first) and allow the chicken to cook (with grill cover on) undisturbed for 5-6 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook an additional 4-6 minutes. Remove chicken from the grill and allow it to rest.
- While chicken is resting, spray onion and plum halves with cooking spray and place them on the grill. Cook about 10 minutes, 5 per side, or until they are soft and slightly charred.
- Remove onions and plums from the grill. Place 2 of the grilled plum halves and half of the grilled onion in a food processor with 2 teaspoons honey, 1 tablespoon of balsamic and a pinch of salt. Puree until a sauce-like consistency forms. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve grilled chicken with the sauce and remaining grilled plums and onions on the side.